Dinner guests were arriving when the electric igniter went out on my oven. And, then a few minutes later I discovered the igniter on my gas grill was also out. After a momentary panic attack I re-thought the evening, ordered in and we got a laugh out of it.
But, being aware of metaphor and the subtle epiphanies it can bring, it got me thinking about where in our lives the igniters go out from time to time. For both the grill and the oven it was an easy fix to re-ignite the mechanism. What about re-igniting our lives and careers? It’s a powerful act and allows you to live your life rather than your life living you.
Taking it a step further, it got me thinking about the impact other Re’s can have on us and all we do. Think about your own life and career for a moment. You have a dream, or a plan, or a specific project you’re trying to complete, or a bigger goal with a deadline, or an overall vision. Perhaps you’re stuck or not feeling inspired; or what you’ve been doing isn’t working anymore; or you really feel like you want to make a change but have no idea what it is or how to go about it.
The power of the Re is that it places new energy in a new way toward what you’re looking at or trying to accomplish. If you allow the Re to do it’s thing and not fight the process, the results can be staggering.
There are a lot great Re words, but here are 10 powerful ones to get you started, or re-started:
- Reinvent your career by getting back to the foundation, what do you love and why do you do what you.
- Reinvest your time in a new and charitable way.
- Reclaim your dreams, keeping them alive by articulating them on a regular basis.
- Rejuvenate your attitude, turning can’t into can and don’t into do.
- Refocus your energy by pausing, taking a deep breath and changing your position.
- Readjust your thinking, allowing yourself to come at a project from a fresh angle.
- Retool your personal brand, your resume, your leadership style. A fresh approach can bring fresh results.
- Recharge your physical battery; take walks midday or change up your commute on the way to work.
- Reignite your vision, like gently blowing on cooling embers. It’s in there, gently wake it up and bring it to life by pursuing it in thought and action, a little every day,
- Redesign your plan; remove what’s not working and try something else.
- And, Refuse to quit on yourself. Everyday, get up and Redo something else.
In the way our skin renews itself every 24 hours, embracing the Re allows us to do the same thing in our lives and careers. And, the good news is you can do and re-do it again and again.
It’s truly the cycle of life. Or, in this case, the recycle of life.