What are your philosophies and how do they impact your career?
A belief is the most powerful magnet in the world. Your beliefs are what push and pull you in all you do in your life. They are your personal magnets. They affect thoughts, feelings, and actions. And when you start to think about what you believe, really what you hold true, then you can recognize some of the philosophies that guide your life.
A philosophy is a universal theme or through line that many times drive the events and actions during your lifetime. Your theme or philosophy is the connector to how you build your career and live your life. And they stem from your core beliefs and values.
The reason philosophies are important in your career is because when you put together your career blueprint and brand platform, when you're able to put out in the world what your philosophies are, you will draw to you like-minded people, jobs and clients that either resonate with or share those philosophies. And what organically happens when you’re living by your true core philosophies, your life then heads in the right direction for you.
Complete this thought, "I believe--". Make a list of what comes immediately to mind and limit yourself to only five minutes. Don't think too hard about this because many times it's those first thoughts that come to mind that are the ones that are the truest. These are the beliefs that you hold dear and true.
So, here are some of mine:
- I believe core values drive us.
- I believe in honesty.
- I believe giving excellence in one thing means giving excellence in all things.
- I believe respect is one of the most valued gifts you can give another.
- I believe in faith.
- I believe love can move mountains.
- I believe dark chocolate makes every day better!!
- I believe compassion is a great equalizer.
- I believe in taking risks big enough that I feel the tremble in my solar plexus.
- I believe dreamers rule the world.
- I believe in the magic of a personal story.
Now, as I examine my beliefs, I would summarize them in the form of philosophy statements for my brand like this:
- Live your core values and the results take care of themselves.
- Come from a place of transparency and truth.
- Live in excellence.
- Respect is a most valuable gift to give another.
- Where there’s a will there’s a way.
These are philosophies I live my life by and that feels solid in my bones, in my core.
So, please play with me! Open up your mind and heart. How do you complete the sentence?
I Believe… Add your answers below!