“I think your self emerges more clearly over time.” ~ Meryl Streep
What a difference a year makes. My head is spinning today, my mind full of reflection, introspection, jubilation, anticipation, wonder and… trepidation! Now, admittedly right now the trepidation part is minimized by the other more effusive emotions and thoughts. But, every year on my birthday
– yes it’s today – I spend some good time reflecting, etc. Where have I come? Have I done what I set out to do in my life in my life and career? Am I the kind of person I’m meant to be? Am I on the right path? What’s the meaning of life?! …and so on! But, this year the trepidation is much different than it was a year ago. The trepidation this year is more about being a year closer to fifty! And, I would re-phrase it as an “anxious anticipation” about the various choices that now lie in front of me. But, what a difference a year makes!
On my birthday last year, the trepidation outweighed much else. The economic situation wreaked havoc on my career as it did on so many others. I had many sleepless nights about what was coming next and how the people I worked with were also being affected. And, the majority of it was completely out of my control. Does this feel familiar to any of you?
The changes that have taken place in my life in the last year can be pared down to a list of words or phrases that I hope you find helpful as situations emerge in your life and career. I have taken the work behind each of them to build an incredible and fulfilling career where I help others build incredible and fulfilling careers. Love that!
- Freedom – of thought, of mind, of time, to get to what is really important to you. Once I was freed from that out-of-control place, then and only then did “I” emerge as never before.
- Time – the precious commodity that you can’t get back once it's gone. Be generous with the time you give yourself.
- Authenticity – get to the basics and truth of what you love about what you do, or what you want to do. Then, incorporate that into your daily life.
- Values – when you align with your core values they drive all you do. This has been the biggest ‘aha’ for me.
- Transparency – be bold and communicate truth; show the real you always. You’ll be trusted and respected for it.
- Gratitude – what you’re grateful for abounds. In other words, focus on what you’re thankful for and watch as more of it comes into your life.
- Joy – find the meaning for yourself in the prior six ideas and your joy will come. Discover the joy that makes you look forward to starting each day!
What happened for me through this process is that I became so crystal clear about my brand and created a strategy for developing my platform that I’ve been teaching my clients how to do the same thing. Pretty cool!
So, I find myself really wanting to shout from the mountaintops and share this with as many people as I can (one of my core values is empowering others). I’ve decided to put on a teleseminar! If you’re interested, mark your calendar for October 8 at 5pm Pacific for my first ever free teleconference call! You can actually reserve your spot HERE.
“Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire and begin at once, whether you ready or not, to put this plan into action.” ~ Napoleon Hill